Tuesday, February 17, 2009

From Performance Art to Figure Skating

Ron showed the seminar some clips of Raimund Hoghe's work over the weekend.  I've been lucky enough to see him perform twice at a dance festival - most recently, I saw his company perform a meditation on Bolero (in which they performed to the song over and over again).
The performance explicitly revisits Torvill & Dean's performance at the 1984 Olympics (and uses the television broadcast as its soundtrack).  It's pretty amazing - and strange to see that Olympic spectacle absorbed into performance art. I also saw him perform "Meinwärts" couple years ago, and watched the audience turn on him.  That performance was so slow, so serious, so painfully sincere and labored that I fell asleep.  I figured that was OK, and he probably wouldn't mind.  He didn't seem to care what people in the audience felt - even when some queen a couple seats away from me started heckling.  It was incredible - the hostility provoked by what I think the audience experienced as a kind of aggressive sincerity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment